Software Testing Path for Jobs in QA, Test Engineering & Development
The Official Software Testing Skills Path
Whether you test software full time or part time, ASTQB and ISTQB software testing certifications offer an easy path to QA jobs and promotions.
“I believe that going through the certification process helped me grow tremendously as a software tester, which led to my current position as a Product Manager. Thank you for all that you do!”
Use the software testing skills path below to choose certifications for jobs in Software QA, Software Testing, Agile, Test Engineering, DevOps, Continuous Quality, Test Management and more. Important: You must register for your ISTQB exams through this ASTQB site to be on the official US certified tester list.
“I appreciate you letting me know about the ‘The Software Testing Career Road Map,’ it will help me in my career path.”
- Of course, all software professionals should have Foundation Level Certification (CTFL) knowledge. If you don’t have that certification, it’s the obvious place to start. If you have experience testing software, it will be easy. It gets everyone using the same testing terms and principles.
- Are you interested in testing cutting edge mobile apps and devices? Then Mobile Testing Certification is for you. This does not require Foundation Level Certification as a prerequisite, so many people start with this.
- Are you interested in usability testing? Then Usability Testing Certification is a great Foundation Level step.
- Does your software need performance testing? (“Yes,” is the likely answer.) Then Performance Testing Certification is an important addition to your resume.
- If you will work with Agile development teams, then Agile Testing Certification is a must. It’s a Foundation Level, so it’s an easy addition.
- If you enjoy working with customers to create requirements for the software, then Business Analysis Certification is definitely for you. It’s also foundation level certification, so it’s a great, easy addition. Hear why a test manager thinks everyone who tests need BA Certification.
- The Advanced Level Certification options provide exciting career choices. All of these require Foundation Level certification as a prerequisite, which makes sense:
- The above are considered “core” advanced certifications because every advanced tester should have one or more for their testing career. ASTQB and ISTQB also offer exciting speciality testing certifications:
- If you don’t have Advanced Level certification yet, this podcast on Advanced is a MUST: Hear a veteran IT pro describe:
1) Why you shouldn’t fear the Advanced Level testing certification exam,
2) How to prepare for the Advanced Level exam, including two very important tips, and
3) Why it’s important for your career – and your company – that you become Advanced Level testing certified. This is a podcast that will inspire you to build your testing skills and career!
- Finally, if you want to be regarded as THE expert manager in testing, Expert Tester Certification offers options that will prove you truly are the expert in your field. This requires Advanced Test Manager as a prerequisite, as you would expect.
No matter what you want to do with your career, ISTQB software testing certification has the path you need to pursue the testing career that will make you happy.
If you want more information about your software testing career path, we highly recommend our free white paper, “Which Software Testing Career Path is Right for You?“
Are you a manager or CIO? ASTQB and ISTQB certification are good for testers, of course, but they are also smart for managers and companies, as they can improve quality, reduce costs, and shorten delivery times. See all of the benefits software testing certification for manager and companies.